For people living with an ostomy, humid climates and certain situations may cause concern in pouch wear time. The me+ support team has put together some useful tips just for you to help optimize your pouch wear time.
Feel more confident about facing humidity with these tips:
- Review your peristomal cleaning routine. Using baby wipes or cleaners that include moisturizers may affect your pouch seal in hot, humid weather. Clean your peristomal skin with warm water and a simple gentle bar of soap.
- Try a barrier wipe or spray before applying your pouch. Sensi-Care™ Sting Free Skin Barrier Wipescreate a barrier film that protects the skin from the damaging effects of adhesives, body waste and enzyme attack. Using the barrier wipes in combination with Stomahesive® Powder may help extend overall pouch wear time. If you’d like to learn more on how to use these products, contact our me+ Team at 1-800-422-8811 today.
- If you are in a humid climate or tend to perspire more, try a pouch with a Stomahesive® barrier and an acrylic tape collar. The SUR-FIT Natura® Two-Piece Stomahesive® Skin Barrier provides a unique formula that enables the skin barrier to adhere to both dry and moist skin. Request sample here.
- If you are having an issue with tape collars starting to peel, try adding ease™ Strips around the skin barrier where it meets the skin. Learn more and request samples here.
- Using an Eakin Cohesive® Seal with your pouching system may help absorb additional moisture. Eakin Cohesive® Seals can help prevent leaks and skin irritation by forming an absorptive barrier around your stoma. Learn more and request samples here.
- Try using an ostomy belt or wearing an Ostomysecrets® wrap to help keep your pouch secure and supported against your body, which may help increase wear time.
- More often pouch changes may be required. You may find in humid climates and situations that you need to change your pouch more often.
If you have any other questions in regards to humidity and potentially extending pouch wear time, requesting samples, or where to buy ostomy products, contact the me+ Team at 1-800-422-8811 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
me+™ Answers provides tips and tricks for living with an ostomy.
Find in-depth articles on topics like diet, activity, travel, relationships and every day life. Helpful information for people living with a colostomy, ileostomy or urostomy.
Editor’s note: This educational article is from one of our digital sponsors, ConvaTec. Sponsor support along with donations from readers like you help to maintain our website and the free trusted resources of UOAA, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.