United Ostomy Associations of America, Inc. (UOAA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that supports, empowers, and advocates for people who have had or who will have ostomy or continent diversion surgery. UOAA is an association of affiliated, non-profit, support groups and it is dedicated to the provision of information, advocacy and service to, and for, its affiliated support groups, their members and the ostomy community at large.
Affiliation is open to any group that provides mutual aid and support to those who have undergone, or will undergo ostomy or continent bowel/bladder surgery, and to their caregivers/family, and meets the following:
Requirements for Affiliation:
- Acceptance of UOAA’s Constitution, agreement to support UOAA’s mission, programs and activities, and, IF group coverage is elected under UOAA’s 501(c)(3) Charity Status, adherence to the IRS mandated provisions;
- Payment of the Annual Affiliation Fee as determined each year by the UOAA Management Board of Directors; currently the Annual Affiliation Fee rate is $2.50 per member, and the Minimum Affiliation Fee is $30.00. Please note in UOAA elections, each affiliated group has as many votes as the number of members for which it has paid an Annual Affiliation Fee (e.g., a group that reports 50 members has 50 votes). A group that pays the Minimum Affiliation Fee has 12 votes;
- Agreement to encourage support group members to subscribe to The Phoenix magazine;
- Provision to UOAA of an email address where communications to the support group can be sent;
- Agreement to have an active patient “Visiting Program,” when feasible;
- Agreement that upon dissolution of the group, it will give any remaining funds in its treasury to a viable 501(c)(3) charity/s, with a strong preference to UOAA or to other organizations that provide support to ostomates.
By affiliating with UOAA, you will be joining an organization that is dedicated to increasing your viability as a support group, and, to improving the quality of life, after surgery, of your group’s members and the ostomy/continent diversion community it serves.
We recommend that all Affiliated Support Groups not associated with a hospital come under the UOAA’s tax exempt umbrella. For more information regarding this program please email email@example.com and put tax exempt status in the subject field.