Care of Colostomy
A pouching system is usually worn. Pouches are odor free and different manufacturers have disposable or reusable varieties to fit one’s lifestyle. Ostomy supplies are available at medical supply stores and through the mail and are covered by most health insurance plans.
Irrigation: Certain people are candidates for learning irrigation techniques that will allow for increased control over the timing of bowel movements. Talk to your doctor to see if you may be a candidate for this practice or read our colostomy guide to learn more about the procedure.
United Ostomy Associations of America
P.O. Box 525
Kennebunk, ME 04043-0525
Call us toll-free at: 1-800-826-0826.
Our Information Line hours are Monday-Friday, 9am to 3pm (Wednesday until 2pm) EST. If you have an emergency, please dial 911 or contact your local medical professional.
UOAA does not provide Medical, Mental Health, Insurance or Legal Advice.
Join our national advocacy network and take action on issues that affect the quality of life of all people living with an ostomy or continent diversion in the United States. Help UOAA make an impact on decision-makers and together we can drive change.
- Managing Humidity and Extending Pouch Wear Times with an OstomyJuly 15, 2019 - 11:10 am
- Discover a World of Ostomy Products at UOAA’s National ConferenceJuly 11, 2019 - 10:55 am
- Together We Can Change LivesJune 25, 2019 - 11:19 am
- Fun In The Sun, Ostomy StyleJune 14, 2019 - 10:00 am
- Makeda Armorer-Wade’s StoryJune 3, 2019 - 11:12 am