Welcome to the Androscoggin Ostomy Support Group. We are a local support group for people who have or will have ostomy surgery. Our group provides hope, support, encouragement, and understanding. We provide an opportunity to meet fellow ostomates, have questions answered, and participate in or listen to informal sharing.
Meetings are free and open to anyone interested in receiving help or information about ostomies. Agendas usually include an informational speaker or a representative from an ostomy supplier. A certified ostomy nurse is present at most meetings. Ostomates, Relatives, Caregivers, and Friends are welcome. If you choose to become a member, you can do so at any meeting.
An Ostomy Visitor has had ostomy surgery and is living a normal lifestyle. This person can provide hope and understanding that only a person living with an ostomy day to day can give. They can relate to what you are going through and share ways to deal with similar fears, concerns, problems, relationships, etc. A visit can be over the telephone or in person before and/or after surgery. To arrange a visit call 207-375-8788. An in-hospital visit can be arranged by asking your physician or ostomy nurse.
In-person Meetings: refreshments provided
- Central Maine Medical Center
12 High Street
Lewiston, Maine (see map)
- Third Tuesday of March, April, May, September, October, November
- 6:00 pm
In June, we meet at a local restaurant for our annual Appreciation Dinner. Each member invites someone who helped and supported them during their recovery. We treat them to a meal to show our appreciation.
- Zoom – Send your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will send the Link prior to each meeting.
- Third Tuesday of January, February, July, August, December
- 6:00 pm
** Due to COVID 19, all In-person Meetings have been changed to Virtual Meetings on Zoom until further notice.
We send out a newsletter prior to each meeting. It will provide education and the meeting date, time, and agenda
Contacts: for more information, to sign up for our newsletter, or to schedule a visitor
- e-mail: email@example.com
- Debbie Rancourt 207-375-8788 (President, Visitor Coordinator)
United Ostomy Associations of America
P.O. Box 525
Kennebunk, ME 04043-0525
Call us toll-free at: 1-800-826-0826.
Our Information Line hours are Monday-Friday, 9am to 3pm (Wednesday until 2pm) EST. If you have an emergency, please dial 911 or contact your local medical professional.
Please understand that UOAA is a private, nonprofit, advocacy and informational organization. We are not a medical facility and we do not have medical or legal professionals on staff. Therefore, UOAA does not provide Medical, Mental Health, Insurance or Legal Advice.
UOAA is the leading organization proactively advocating on behalf of the ostomy community. Recognizing that we are always stronger together, we encourage everyone to get involved by joining our Advocacy Network. We’ve also created several Advocacy Tools and Resources to help you successfully advocate on behalf of the ostomy community to ensure every ostomate receives quality care.
- Double Baggin’ It: A Tale of Two Best Friends Without ButtholesSeptember 14, 2022 - 4:43 pm
- Jessica’s Ostomy Story: Making an Invisible Illness VisibleSeptember 7, 2022 - 11:59 am
- Celebrate and Support Ostomy ResilienceAugust 26, 2022 - 10:53 am
- Bethany’s Story: An Architect Learns to Engineer Life with Short Bowel SyndromeAugust 22, 2022 - 12:47 pm
- A Future Certified Ostomy Nurse in the MakingAugust 17, 2022 - 11:52 am
UOAA does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.