We are a Support Group for Ostomates and Member of the UOAA, Inc. Ostomates are people of any age with potential, new or mature Ileostomies, Colostomies, Urostomies or Continent Diversions.
We Provide direct aid and mutual support to Ostomates both individually and within group settings:
- Solve problems by providing information and referrals by any and all means of communication
- Create opportunities for making new friends and socializing among people with similar experiences and circumstances
We Conduct visitations (Personal, Telephone and E-Mail) to dialogue and present ourselves as role models to potential and new Ostomates:
- Before surgery to offer hope and encouragement
- After surgery to provide solace, assurance and comfort
- During rehabilitation to ease the adjustment and adaptation as an Ostomate
- Reversal to provide information and contacts about Reversals if elected
We Arrange programs and activities for Ostomates, Spouses, Children and Parents, and their Friends, as appropriate:
- Educate and train Support Group Members in new products, processes and procedures with assistance from United Ostomy Associations of America, Inc.
- Advertise Group Programs generally through public and private media outlets, and via the American Cancer Society
- Access resources, promote our purposes and attract new members through direct communication with the Medical Services Community
We meet on the THIRD TUESDAY of each month at 6:30 pm in the Cafeteria–East Side of Memorial Hospital, 4500 13th Street, Gulfport, MS 39501 (map).
United Ostomy Associations of America
P.O. Box 2293
Biddeford, ME 04005-2293
Call us toll-free at: 1-800-826-0826.
Our Information Line hours are Monday-Friday, 9am to 3pm EST. If you have an emergency, please dial 911 or contact your local medical professional.
Please understand that UOAA is a private, nonprofit, advocacy and informational organization. We are not a medical facility and we do not have medical or legal professionals on staff. Therefore, UOAA does not provide Medical, Mental Health, Insurance or Legal Advice. Visit UOAA Virtual Ostomy Clinic provided by The Wound Company for non-emergency, virtual ostomy support.
UOAA is the leading organization proactively advocating on behalf of the ostomy community. Recognizing that we are always stronger together, we encourage everyone to get involved by joining our Advocacy Network. We’ve also created several Advocacy Tools and Resources to help you successfully advocate on behalf of the ostomy community to ensure every ostomate receives quality care.